Saturday, June 4, 2011

Egg- Carrying Male Fish?

 Friday we have an inservice from the EPA on how to dispose medical and pharmaceutical waste. We will be starting to have this special containers around the hospital for these type of wastes. It was a very interesting topic to discuss and I agree with everything the person said. He mentioned a lot of reasons why we have to do this thing but the one thing that strikes me the most is about the egg carrying fish that we are having now due to the toxic waste that we dump on the water. There is a type of male fish in the Washington's major river that's exhibiting female traits, carrying their eggs for reproduction. I only know of the seahorse but a male bass fish? This is how serious the problem is. I am just wondering if there is any report of any male person in Washington who is pregnant right now. I know some male carries female traits, but carry eggs? Well, we really don't know. Years ago there was a report of a pregnant male in the Philippines, but it turned out to be a hoax, the guy just eats too much uncooked rice. I guess if you eat uncooked rice and it stays in your stomach wet and heated under 100 degrees (very hot in the Philippines), it will make your belly bloated as the rice is being cooked inside your belly. But the news got a lot of attention as this egg-carrying male fish. I guess if you don't have enough money to buy caviar, you could just buy some male bass fish in Washington. Just make sure the fish don't have any tampon in it.
       Also wondering, which part of the male fish can you find the eggs? I don't know if they have testicles like humans because if they do, it could be a wrong report.  It could also be an ectopic pregnancy if the eggs are located somewhere else. If it is ectopic, can we do a diagnostic laparoscopy on them? Can we intubate them? How much Propofol  can we administer? Probably much less than somebody had. Is there an Anesthesiologist for a fish? I know for a fact that some anesthesiologist smells like a fish, but to take care of a fish, I don't know.
      I guess I can come up with more questions than answers. If you want to help me understand this better, please post a comment on my blog. I will appreciate it.
      As my father always say....."He who sleeps with a FISHY butt, wakes up with a stinky finger...."
See yah next blog!

No comments: